Professional garden communication at its best
The Garden Media Guild (GMG) is an association that brings together professional garden writers, authors, photographers, broadcasters, editors, lecturers and allied trades.
The Garden Media Guild's aims are to raise the quality of garden writing, photography and broadcasting, and to keep our members up-to-date with events in the world of gardening and horticulture.
The Garden Media Guild welcomes and supports anyone involved in the horticultural media regardless of their race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, disability, background or age.
We are an inclusive and friendly membership group, but the Guild recognises that there is a lack of diversity across the gardening media and in the horticultural sector as a whole. We are committed to listening to, and working with, our members and our colleagues throughout the industry, to ensure that everyone gets an equal opportunity to pursue a career in the gardening media and to advance and prosper in their chosen field.
Benefits of Membership
- Free visits and behind-the-scenes tours of leading gardens; In 2020 our garden visits, which are free to members, include Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire, The Newt in Somerset, Kiftsgate in Gloucestershire, Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens in Oxfordshire and Chenies Manor in Buckinghamshire.
- Access to a wide range of like-minded creatives and the wider gardening industry.
- Quarterly magazine, GMG News, and regular e-newsletter to ensure you are kept up-to-date with events, new books, publishing, photography and general gardening news.
- Free entry for submissions to the annual GMG Awards.
- 10% discount on business insurance.
- Exclusive discounts and offers from numerous companies and suppliers.
- Attending events, briefing days and workshops specifically organised and designed to benefit members.
Some Words from our Members
Dr Fay Edwards began her career as a philosophy professor before switching to garden journalism. She is a writer, lecturer, radio presenter and is currently editor at the Alpine Garden Society.
Why join the GMG? Firstly, membership of the Guild is an industry stamp of approval. To become a full member, your work has to be reviewed by the committee to ensure it meets a certain standard. Once you've been accepted as a member, you can proudly display the Guild logo on your website, business cards and other materials. That logo is the hallmark of a quality garden media producer; it's an instant benefit.
Secondly, I used to think of my work as solitary practice best done alone, but the moment I began thinking differently and collaborating with people, everything changed. As a member of the Guild, I jet-set my ideas, pitches and articles by standing on the shoulders of giants. Via their members-only Facebook and WhatsApp groups, the Guild offer regular opportunities to engage with top presenters, editors and experts in the industry. You simply cannot beat that. Being a member of the Guild has helped me in ways I could not possibly have foreseen and my work is much richer because of it.
Thirdly, Guild membership offers huge perks in terms of gaining access to events that would be completely unavailable to you otherwise. Many of these are entirely free of charge! There's the Garden Press Event, the Guild's annual Awards Ceremony, and an endless stream of incredible visits to must-see gardens that often give the Guild exclusive access.
I joined the Guild just over a year ago now, and I've never looked back.